11 Jan 2013

Splendid Similes 1



As Keen as Mustard


Right now, with a throbbing headache and the prospect of studying linguistic, I am not exactly as keen as mustard. And even if I were, mustard is really one my least favourite things to put on my food, so no. I could probably be as keen as ketchup or maybe herbal salt.

So what made the English use this strange expression and compare the yellow gooey thing to being keen? phrases.org.uk says that in the early 20th century, mustard was so popular that people would say stuff like: "Shakespeare is mustard!", meaning that the guy is simply great.The simile itself first appeared in the 17th century, imagine that! The truth is people were just too keen on mustard, so I guess that this is where the strange thing happened and keenness jumped from people to mustard. Ta-dah!

Now I will go and study for my linguistics exam as keenmustardly as I can. I promise! Just don’t make me eat mustard :) (No, I still don’t understand. Keen as ketchup is even alliterated! Come on).

(the picture is taken from: blog.coulsonmacleod.com)

2 comments:

FF said...

A procrastination post, yaaaay! :-) I love the alliteration in the heading, the better I know English, the more I appreciate the alliterations there. And this simile, after I learned it, is definitely one of my favourites, maybe because it's so nonsensical :D.

Trollkona said...

yaaaay ^^ I also wonder why I like this simile despite hating mustard, but yeah, I guess that craziness wins :D I have a soft spot for alliteration too, that would probably be Edgar's and Beowulf's fault :)

Post a Comment

 

Keep it simple, sir! © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates