9 Feb 2013

Splendid Similes 5

As Cunning as a Fox That Used to Be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but Has Moved On and Is Now Working for the UN at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning


I love Blackadder so much! Gosh I hope I made the capitalisation right... Actually, in order to write this article I've seen the Blackadder Back & Forth in English for the first time - I'm glad that both Blackadder (the original series) and this one have such great Czech dubbing. Blackadder is swarming with great, hilarious and incredibly long similes, and these three are taken from the Back & Forth movie.

1. It tastes as if someone with a bad chest cold has taken two spoonfuls of Benylin to loosen the phlegm and then coughed all over an avocado (Chutná to jako kdyby chcípák s nachcípanými průduškami spolkl dvě lžíce Bromhexinu, a pak vykašlal navrch celé avokádo)
- I'm so proud that I still remember it by heart :)


2. (Baldrick, you really are) as thick as clotted cream that’s been left out by some clot until the clots are so clotted up we couldn’t unclot them with an electric declotter (ty jsi vážně namouduši tuplovaně tupej tupec, tupější než votupená kudla, kterou ztupil tupec jako ty, takže už ji nenabrousí ani elektrický detupilátor)
- I really love how they translated it :)

3. As cunning as a fox what used to be professor of cunning at oxford university but has moved on and he’s now working for the UN at the high commission of international cunning planning  (Je tak fikanej jako filuta co bejval profesorem filutologie na Oxfordu ale dotáh' to vejš? Až na vysoký úřad komisaře OSN pro mezinárodní fikané plánování? ... jo, to je)
- Hmmm. That's cunning. 

So, what's your favourite Blackadder line/ simile? :) 

2 comments:

FF said...

I definitelly like the foxy one best, because ... you know, cunningness and foxes! So that's the absolute winner for me, nevertheless, all the Black Adder similes are just splendid! They had to think really hard to make up so many of them and I really don't envy those translators. But they performed a pretty decent job! I hope that one day I can recite the foxy simile by heart in English just to impress my English speaking friends :-).

Trollkona said...

we can learn all 3 of them.. :) but they're so long and complicated we should probably earn a credit just by learning them, I mean, it should be every English L&L student's duty to know a Blackadder simile :D

Post a Comment

 

Keep it simple, sir! © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates